Friday, November 20, 2009

Ain't She Sweet?

Bonjour from Campagne Maison




I've been sitting on pins and needles ever since I got the phone call! Many of you may recall my post about Amanda Jane and my quest to find her. (For those of you that are not familiar with the story, you can find it in my blog archives). As luck would have it, or as I would rather like to think "providence" had it, the first phone call that I made at random from the area telephone directory put me speaking to Georgia, the wife to Ray Wyrick, great-grandson of Amanda Jane. Within the hour, both of them were sitting in the farmhouse living room and we were looking at records that Georgia had obtained thru her extensive research via Ancestory.com.

A couple days later, Georgia called to tell me that she had located photos of Amanda Jane. I think my screams may have awakened Amanda her from her resting place, which is less than a mile down the road. I think that if they did, she was as excited as me!

Ms. Amanda was the lady of the farm house during the early 1930's, having acquired the property thru her son, Arzello Jefferson Wyrick. She passed away in 1936 and the property was deeded to her daughter, Minnie Ethel and husband, William Gaines Cox. It was upon their death that the farmhouse and property was inherited by Robert Cassady, from whence the locals grew to know it as the "Old Cassady Place".... Long story...I know.

Due to conflicts in our schedules, it has been a long wait to get to see the pictures. I spent a couple of hours today looking thru scrapbooks that Georgia has painstakingly assembled for their children and grandchildren. I was also fortunate to get to see pictures of Amanda's other children, their spouses, and some of their children. I will be posting more pictures later.

I left the Wyrick's home with a feeling of nostalgia, of great satisfaction, and of a feeling that it was meant to be! I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to Georgia for helping me with my quest to find out more about the people who lived and loved at Campagne Maison. I commend her for her diligence in researching, not only Ray's family history, but her own as well. It is my belief that if it was important in biblical times to keep birth and census records, then it is just as important today.

Thanks for stopping by the farmhouse for a visit. We love having company.

Au revoir,

7 comments:

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Jacque,
It sounds like you love geneology too. My father studied our family all his life. He absolutely loved it.He went back 7 greats for me.Glad you found out more about Amanda Jane.

Sea Witch said...

There is something absolutely wonderfuly about locating a home's original inhabitants. I passionatly sought out information on the original owners/builders of the huge Queen Anne we restored while living in Illinios. It was like Christmas every time I found a new piece to the puzzle. This is such a wonderful journey for you and Amanda Jane is a charmer. Sea Witch

Anonymous said...

I love following this story. It's fascinating.

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Amanda Jane was a remarkable person, I'm sure. TL

Sarah said...

Jacque, that is wonderful news. It is refreshing to know that others are interested in the history of one's home. Our home was built in the 30s, so not nearly as old as yours though it has been fun to learn about others who lived within these walls. Hope you continue to discover new things.
Happy weekend to you.....Sarah

Lorrie said...

Doesn't it make you wonder about the life lived in your home before you arrived? The laughter and the tears, the drama and the mundane - how wonderful to be able to put a face and a name to your farmhome.

Lorrie

Maggie said...

Jacque,
I have traced my family back to the middle of the 1700's through Ancestry and loved the quest. I so wish that records of this old house were available but sadly not. All we do know is...............wait a minute that could be a blog??