Thursday, March 25, 2010

"J" is for "Jacquelin Wells" aka "Julie Bishop"

Bonjour from Campagne Maison


Jacqueline Wells aka Julie Bishop


My mother named me Jacquelin after a childhood friend and I became a Wells when I married. This post is about another.


Jacqueline Wells was born Jacqueline Brown to a wealthy Denver banker/oilman on August 30, 1914. She moved to Los Angeles after her parents divorce and debuted onscreen at the age of 9. She soon became a busy child actress, working alongside Mary Pickford and Clara Bow, during the silent era under the screen name of Jacqueline Wells.

Jacqueline and Buster Crabbe in "Tarzan the Fearless"

Jacqueline took 4 years off from film work in her teens, during which time she attended school and took dancing lessons. She returned to the screen in the 30's appearing in a number of Hal Roach comedy shorts. In 1940, Jacqueline signed a contract with Warner Brothers, and made 84 movies under a name change to Julie Bishop. During that time she worked opposite Buster Crabbe, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Roy Rogers, Laurel and Hardy and my favorites, Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne. In the 1950's, she co-starred with Bob Cummings in the TV series, "My Hero" and also starred as Allison McKenzie in "Return to Peyton Place".

Jacqueline retired from the screen in 1957. Among her many lifetime accomplishments, Jacqueline was a licensed private pilot and a painter. She entertained soldiers at the Hollywood Canteen during WWII and was named one of the 10 Best Dressed Women in Los Angeles. She died from pneumonia on her 87th birthday, August 30, 2001.

******Side note: Jacqueline is the mother of actress Pamela Shoop-Sweeny, whose marriage to Father Terrance Sweeney, a Jesuit Priest in the Roman Catholic Church for 24 years, led to their autobiography, "What God Hath Joined". The book records their trials and triumphs as the first Priest to marry publicly--a self-described "modern day "THE THORNBIRDS" only with a happy ending!



I am linking up with Jenny at Alphabe-Thursday. Grab her button on my sidebar and head on over to her place to read all the other "J" 's for today!

Thanks for stopping by the farmhouse for a visit. We love having company.
Au revoir,




20 comments:

Viki said...

I've probably seen her in movies but I don't recall. She sounds like an amazing woman. A woman with nothing holding her back. Great post.

Anonymous said...

An amazing piece of history. Love it that the "other" was a woman ahead of her time.

Jackie said...

Jacqueline is a great name ! and a sexy woman :)

MrsJenB said...

She was really beautiful! It amazes me how Hollywood was just cranking movies out back in the day - this woman appeared in dozens and dozens of films! Talk about hard working!

Anonymous said...

Both Jacquelin Wells are beautiful and amazing women.

Sarah said...

Jacque, as always your post is so informative and interesting. I've always loved the name Jacqueline. It seems to fit you well. :-)
Thanks for stopping by HFTS today. Life is busy here, so I don't spend as much time visiting as I'd like. Take care, sweet friend. Hugs . . .

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I always learn something here on Thursdays, Jacque! It's cool to share her name!!

Jo said...

that was so interesting and she was so ahead of her time ... she must have been amazing to know ... thanks for the wonderful post, it was a pleasure to read, and thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It is truly appreciated!

Maggie said...

Great J post, I love the different topics that everyone keeps coming up with. It really makes me think!!
~Maggie~

Betty said...

Very informative and interesting post.

Jenny said...

Another fun and informative J post!

And your name is quite lovely...sounds like you wear it well!

Happy J day!

A+

laterg8r said...

very cool post :D

i love vintage movies :D

Brenda said...

Always love to stop by and learn something new. I read the Thornbirds many years ago. I remember it to be a very thick book. And the actress looks familiar so I am sure I have seen her. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

she was a beautiful woman.....

Amanda Lee said...

Love the historical trivia. Jacqueline is a beautiful name, by the way!

Steph said...

What an interesting life and post. She looks like a classic beauty with lots of glamour. It's neat that you share one of her screen names. It is a lovely one.

Anonymous said...

very interesting to find someone with the same name as yours--from the past.

Nadeen said...

Jacqueline was always a name that I thought would be great to have. I even like the Jackie part. I don't know why. Jacqueline Wells...even more. Just flows.

Thanks.

Sea Witch said...

What a wonderful post and you are just as lovely as the other JW. I'm going to enjoy reading your back posts now that I'm back. Sea Witch

Ana said...

Good morning Jacque. It is always so much fun to see what you're sharing for Alphabe-Thursday. Hope that you are doing well. We are almost done with laying the floor in both rooms but still have the base boards and some painting to do...Soooo much work but, I'm loving it! Can't wait to finish so I can share some more with you. Have a wonderful rest of the week and a very blessed Easter.

Much love to you my dear friend,
♥Ana