Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Sister's Chest



Bonjour from Campagne Maison

My Sister’s Chest

This chest of drawers was part of a bedroom suite that my newlywed sister and her husband purchased from a used furniture store in 1967. At that time, it was several years old but I am uncertain as to the exact age of the piece. It does have built in brass key holes in each of the drawers and ivory casters, so my guess is circa 1930. Nevertheless, it is still a nice addition to my collection of oldies but goodies.

Originally a walnut finish, they opted to paint it a glossy lacquered black. What can I say other than it was the 1960’s? It was rather quite stunning and I remember how impressed I was the first time I saw it. When they decided to upgrade their style, I acquired the furniture and “antiqued” it white. (Gosh, I remember when those “antiquing” kits were so popular. I think my mother’s favorite of all time was “Fruitwood”. I seem to recall brushing on a lot of it on her furniture). In later years, I stripped it back down to its natural finish where it remains today. I guess you could say that it has come full circle.

Please leave a comment so I will know that you stopped by the farmhouse today. We love having company.

Au revoir,

2 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I love your chest, it's beautiful & great that it got passed on to you.

Jacque said...

Thanks for stopping by the farmhouse today, Rhoda...YES, I am truly blessed. Since I am the one that likes "old stuff" (as the rest of the family says)and they "fuel the fire that burns inside me" by giving me their cast offs and I JUST LOVE IT. It allows me to fulfill my passion of doing what I can to preserve history even if it is just "family history".