Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Sound of Silence

Bonjour from Campagne Maison©

There is a pleasant quietness this morning on the farm in East TN. The sun is shining, the wind is calm, and the cows are across the hill out of sight. Only the occasional sound of birds flying in the sky overhead fills the air.

I am suddenly reminded of the song, "The Sound of Silence".

As I hum and ponder over the words I can actually remember from the song, I wonder what thoughts birthed the words to so many of the songs that are embedded in our minds. Was it Simon or was it Garfunkel that had the inspiration for that song? Did something specific trigger their thoughts? Did the flash of the neon signs really stab their eyes?

Silence, (if we let it as I am this morning) can speak to us in a calming way and like an ointment, it will cleanse and heal the soul. However, if we let it, silence can speak lounder than any words could ever say. Like flashes of bright light, words of anger, distrust, hatred, jealousy, bitterness (and the list continues on..) can stab us. Just like a two-edged sword, it can cut both ways. Silence harbored within us, can be deadly as it festers and becomes so huge that it explodes like a volcanic eruption.

Much can be said by saying nothing at all. Simon and Garfunkel summed it up as they penned this verse in the song...

"fools" said i,"you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that i might teach you
Take my arms that i might reach you
."But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed
In the wells of silence

And that is what is on my mind this beautiful Tuesday morning as I sit here, thinking to the "Sound of Silence" for soon that silence will be broken, but THAT is another song.

Au revoir..

No comments: