Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Star of Bethlehem



Bonjour from Campagne Maison


"Ornithogalum umbellatum"

a.k.a. Star of Bethlehem, Nap at Noon, Snowdrop, Eleven-o’clock Lady, Sleepydick, Dove’s Dung…



I am patiently awaiting the arrival of these beauties! I found them growing wild in little patches all around the yard last Spring. I had never seen anything like them before and thought they were too cute not to dig up and transplant in mass into a small flowerbed. Upon digging, I discovered that they were bulbous plants and not root flowers. Interesting enough (or was it as in yesterday’s post: fate, destiny, or Divine Providence?) I had just read an article in the March 2008 Southern Living magazine about Chris Wiesinger, The Bulb Hunter, www.southernbulbs.com/ or www.thebulbhunter.com/.
Chris travels about the South in search of heirloom bulbs which he collects and propagates on his farm in Mineola, TX. So, naturally, me and my inquiring mind had to email Chris and attach a picture of my discovery in an effort to find out if he could provide me with any information about these little beauties. And sure ‘nuf, he was and he did! That man knows his stuff when it comes to bulbs. Kudos, Chris.

If you missed the article in Southern Living, you can Google it and read it along with several other articles online.

I’ve read several gardeners opinions about the flower and it seems to be a toss up among the critics. You either love the plant or you hate the plant, as is expressed in the plants “common names” above. I call it “Star of Bethlehem”….guess you know which critics I side with, huh?
Au revoir,

No comments: